The Chancel

The Early English Chancel was probably rebuilt by Sir Thomas de Etton, Lord of Gilling Castle, in the mid-14th century, in the Decorated style. At this time it was widened on the south side, producing the effect that the altar is not on the centre-line of the church. The east wall was partly rebuilt in the 19th century. The original east window was lower than the present one, and it once contained the arms of the Etton, Malbys, and Fairfax families, all inter-related by marriage. The window on the north side is 14th century. The windows in the south wall are worthy of special note. The easternmost is 14th century, being of two lights and tracery. The westernmost is similar. The middle window has been inserted later, in the 16th century. It is of four lights, and identical in design to the window in the Tower which was built about 1503.

Under this window is a small doorway also of the 16th century. The Chancel Arch is modern, being built in about 1850AD. On the Chancel side of the arch wall are three corbels indicating that at this time the roof was raised. The present roof is 19th century. There is a squint opening on to the south aisle. On the outside the corner buttresses to the east wall are 16th century and placed there when the roof was raised.

Visit the Situation; Floor Plan; Nave; Aisles; Tower and Bells; Monuments; Brass; Organ; Clock; Glass; Font; Exterior; Village.

Return to the Contents. counter