[Church Tower]

The Tower and Bells

The tower was built at the end of the 15th century as shown by the will of Robert Wellyngton, who also provided the middle window in the south wall of the Chancel. The tower is in two stages with an embattled parapet. The tower arch is not original but was inserted in 1753AD. There are gargoyles on the north and south sides. The remains of a gargoyle are to be seen on a window ledge in the south aisle.

There is a spiral staircase inside the tower, leading up to the clock in the middle stage of the tower and the bells above.


The Bells
There are three bells dated 1664, 1701 and 1773AD. The earliest bell was given by Charles Fairfax, the 5th Viscount. It was cast by Thomas Wood, bellfounder of Thirsk (thanks to Mr. George Dawson for this information). The bells were examined by Mr. John Arthur of Pickering in 1996. His report is instructive and interesting.

bell The photo shows the largest bell, mounted on a solid wooden headstock; the bell frame is a King Post frame with curved braces. The hammer for the clock strike can just be seen at the bottom left, emerging through the slot which has been cut for it right through the king post!

All photos Gill & Adrian Smith


Visit the Situation; Floor Plan; Nave; Aisles; Chancel; Monuments; Brass; Organ; Clock; Glass; Font; Exterior; Village.

Return to the Contents. counter